[K12OSN] How to DRASTICALLY speed up app response on K12LTSP

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Oct 5 20:24:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 08:13:08 +1200, Krsnendu dasa wrote
> Would these settings also help with edubuntu?

I am trying them on my Edubuntu Feisty system right now.  I don't see any huge
difference yet, but it has only been about 30 seconds since the change :-)

How would one test the noatime options for a thin client as there does not seem to be a
default /etc/fstab to start?  I assume there is a script to build this on boot.

I added the vm changes to my /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/sysctl.conf just for the heck of it to
see if there is any noticeable difference.

So in my /etc/fstab on the server would I add noatime like so?

#
proc            /proc           proc    defaults,noatime        0       0
# /dev/sda2
UUID=94d94ee4-a692-4885-84eb-6b8060dbc4e3 /               ext3
defaults,noatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda3
UUID=e3b6ab1d-9b9b-42ba-833c-962cd6f44b4e /home           ext3    defaults,noatime
  0       2
# /dev/sda1
UUID=9e38dcdd-cadf-443e-b4a5-d78f16a592d2 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto  0       0

Basically adding noatime after defaults on every mount, or is this only useful on / and
/home?

Jim