[K12OSN] How to DRASTICALLY speed up app response on K12LTSP

Robert Arkiletian robark at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 20:25:28 UTC 2007

On 10/5/07, Jim Kronebusch <jim at winonacotter.org> wrote:
> > Add the noatime mount option to your drive partitions (or md devices)
> > in /etc/fstab
> > I don't think schools are so concerned about security that we need to
> > know when each file is accessed.
>
> I believe I have asked you this before, but I forgot.  This setting only needs to be
> used on a client mounting via nfs, correct?  So this won't really help the thin clients,
> but can help other systems mounting /home per say via nfs?

No. Thin clients mount /opt/lstp/i386 read only. Noatime is only for
rw mounts since it must write to the filesystem the time the file was
accessed. At least this is my understanding.

I use noatime for my / and /home software raid 1 devices on the
server. (md0 and md1)
Raid 1 benefits in read performance since it can read the same data
from 2 possible drives. Write performance is not improved. But if you
mount with atime (which is default) now all reads result in a write
also. So it kind of kills the read performance benefit of raid 1.

--
Robert Arkiletian