[K12OSN] Re: [Ltsp-discuss] Fwd: Unsupported Crossover (Wine) app installed in managed mode only runs as root.

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 16:35:53 UTC 2007

On 08/10/2007, Nils Breunese <nils at breun.nl> wrote:

> Krsnendu dasa wrote:
>
> > On 06/10/2007, Scott Balneaves <sbalneav at legalaid.mb.ca> wrote:
> > Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> > > I am cross posting this to the ltsp lists as I got no response
> > from the
> > > Crossover list and this software is essential for our school system
> > > which I need to get running by Monday.
> >
> > Are the users members of all the necessary groups? (i.e. audio,
> > cdrom, etc
> > Scott
> >
> > The users are regular smbldap users who are members of students group.
> > I don't think they are members of the audio group. Sound works fine
> > for gcompris (-x), tuxpaint and flash videos in Firefox. Does that
> > make any difference?
> > Is it the users or the application which needs to be the a member
> > audio group?
> >
> > I've also noticed a bug previously mentioned that when Crossover
> > pops up an x message it takes a long time. When running as root I
> > have to wait for over a minute for the box to come up which says,
> > "You are running as root do yo uwant to continue?" Once I chose
> > always continue, the start up time for windows applications became
> > a lot quicker.
> >
> > All help is greatly appreciated. One of the main reasons for
> > switching from K12ltsp to edubuntu is because it can run these
> > multimedia programs. I hope we can get it going soon. It is one
> > feature our principal has been wanting for for years.
>
> What multimedia programs can Edubuntu run that K12LTSP can't? We're
> running Flash videos in Firefox and everything just fine off a
> K12LTSP 5EL server.
>
> Nils Breunese.

As I mentioned I also have flash and shockwave websites working in Firefox.

These program is a multimedia cd created with Macromedia Director. So
basically it is a stand alone shockwave program.
There is a main .exe file which opens a page (.swf) with pictures and titles
on it. As you mouse over each of the pictures the program calls
corresponding mp3 files to play. If you click a the pictures it opens a
story with pictures. If you click on the speaker button the computer reads
the story to you while the words are simultaneously hightlighted.

On the CD it says it is compatible with Windows and Mac and it is runnable
from CD, but you can also install it to hd which basically just copies all
the files over and also allows users to store data.

When I tried to run it on K12LTSP 6 I couldn't even install it, but when I
installed it at home in my own home directory bottle it ran fine.
At present it runs fine as root user on the server.  As root on the thin
client the program loads and beeps. It appears to be running ok but without
sound.
As a regular user on server or thin client the program loads then beeps then
appears to freeze. After a long time an xmessage window comes up about i/o
error and the program runs very slowly (as good as frozen) with no sound.

When I ran the program from the command line I got this message:
umovestr input/output error

Krsnendu dasa