[K12OSN] The corrupted users saga continues

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Tue Oct 9 06:39:52 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

So, I've got a brand new installation of K12LTSP 6.0.0.  I set up some
users and then I thought I needed to remove them and recreate them.
Now, the recreated ones can't log in.  When they log in there's a flurry
of about 15 error messages.  They talk about not being able to access
gconf, and stale nfs locks, etc., etc.  (I can copy the exact wording
and post that if it would help.)  When all the error messages are
closed, the desktop shows up completely black, with a few random seeming
icons on the desktop.

I've tried deleting the users and recreating them.  And it doesn't
work.  It's really weird.  The users are corrupted even after they've
been fully deleted and recreated.  Some other users can log in fine.
So, some file somewhere is remembering the old users or something.  I've
also tried the "Reset my Desktop" login option.

Can anyone suggest a way to solve this problem?  I really need for these
users to have their specific names, so I can restore some files to their
/home directories from backup.  The only thing I can think of is a
complete reinstall of K12LTSP, but that seems a little drastic, since
most users work, and a couple are hosed.

Thanks so much for any ideas,

ck