[K12OSN] Charter School

Steven Santos steven at simplycircus.com
Tue Oct 9 15:39:52 UTC 2007

Simply Circus is putting in a new charter school proposal with the state of
Mass., and I need some advice for the IT section of our proposal...

First, while I can't specify it in so many words, I want to specify K12LTSP,
and I am looking for language that will do so.  We have a small K12LTSP
server in our office that gets used for web surfing and OOo.

Second, I need to offer a fairly wide range of services, and wish to do so
with central LDAP authentication.  For this proposal I need to include the
names of software packages that do the job, and support LDAP for single sign
on.  I need suggestions for all of the following (they do not have to be
OSS, but its obviously preferred.

- ID cards (UIDs tied to student and staff ID cards and access the same LDAP
database)

- Physical Access (building locking/security tied to magnetic ID cards)

- General computing (obviously K12LTSP)

- Student Information System (records, classes, grades, etc.  Ability for
parents to check student progress a plus)

- School Lunch system that can use student ID cards (bar code or magnetic)
or authenticate with UID/Password

- Library system (KOHA? Something that supports LDAP)

- Remote access to databases that authenticates via the LDAP database
(specifically we will be interfacing with International Index to the
Performing Arts, SIRS Researcher, eLibrary CE, Culture Grams, Lexis Nexus
Scholastic and 3 internal databases - 1 mediwiki, 2 SQL)

Third, assuming that we are approved for this, can anyone offer any advice
on hiring a person whose job will be 1/2 network admin and 1/2 computer
teacher?

  _____

Steven Santos
Director, Simply Circus, Inc.