[K12OSN] Authenticating Edubuntu 7.04 LTSP Clients from SMBLDAP Server

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Oct 9 20:55:04 UTC 2007

Jim Kronenbusch Wrote

> The howto I wrote assumes you will have a local user on the server with the uid of 1000
> and no conflicting user ID in the LDAP server.  The configs are designed to look at
> local files first then LDAP, that way if things go bad you can always log in with your
> local user and make changes on both the thin clients and the server.  I also found that
> my Edubuntu server ran much smoother if I added all the default system groups into the
> LDAP server and assigned groups by default the same way the system would to a local
> user.  Step 4 handles creation of an ldif to import all the default groups into your
> LDAP system.

Thanks, Jim.  I have followed your directions and discovered the issue
was a bit of pebcak and a bit of conflicting documentation.  Sorry for
the duplicate post, some mx changes today are delaying receipt of my
mail.  I am tracking this via the web archives, so it is not an accident
that this is appearing as a new thread.

With the clients booting, we are facing gconf issues.  For a few years
our K12LTSP box was authenticating off of the smbldap box in question.
Having moved to Edubuntu for the LTSP component, the users are now
trying to load desktop settings specific to Fedora and not Edubuntu.
They are getting desktop wallpaper and the floppy icon, but nothing else.

I see you have a script to synchronize users from the LTSP box to a LDAP
server.  Is there something similar that we need to do, erase, or change
permissions for?  We now seem to need to sync our LDAP users to the LTSP
box?

I have tried moving gconf and .gconfd in hopes that they would be
recreated, but tailing syslog revealed that both had to be present.

Needing help but having fun

--scott