[K12OSN] Gnome Differences Between Fedora and Edubuntu - Solved

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Oct 11 01:47:34 UTC 2007

R. Scott Belford wrote:

> We have found that we can wipe all files in a current users directory,
> extract a tar.gz template made from a newly created user, and the
> existing user loads fine.  If we don't wipe all the files in a current
> user's directory, and extract the template over the existing files, the
> user's desktop does not load.  It appears that there are a few hidden
> files that are fedora specific that keep gnome from loading.

Syntax and permissions seem to have solved this issue.  We have now,
with only some pain, migrated the desktop settings from one variance of
gnome to another in a thin-client environment.  Given the superhuman
work Eric does to make the k12ltsp so easy, one may wonder, for good
reason, why.  That's just the fun of fiddling, I guess.

We made a new user with the smbldap-adduser command.  Peter, the
teacher, tweaked and refined its desktop and menus.  We tarred this
template user's home directory as template.tar.gz.  Its gconf and gnome
settings were appropriately tuned for the edubuntu variance of gnome.

We extracted the template.tar.gz file in the home/user directories of a
few students previously booting a fedora-specific gnome environment.
After appropriately chown'ing the users' hidden and visible files, the
edubuntu menus and complete desktop load.  Prior to the extraction, only
the wallpaper would load.  Documents and application-specific hidden
files are still present.

 From the 'template' user's directory

tar -cvzf template.tar.gz * .[a-zA-Z0-9]*

we then copied this to the /home/{user}

tar -xvzf template.tar.gz

then, change permissions

chown -fR user:Domain\ Users * .[^.]*

or, as I was told, it could have been

chown -R user:Domain\ Users ~user

Now to script this for all the users.  Any insight is welcome.

We still have to make all the clients automagically use 1024x768 as they
did before with the k12ltsp.  Knowing that muekow is bringing edubuntu
and the k12ltsp together into a package, I hope that this noisy post has
been a little helpful.  Ensuing wiki entries to come.

--scott