[K12OSN] ltspinfo

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Thu Oct 11 18:05:38 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 19:08 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:

> Craig White wrote:
> > I thought I just did that (googling e-mails)
> >
> > I put it in the general section...is that OK or must it be in each
> > workstation configuration?
>
> The [default] section is fine, if you want to enable that setting on all
> of your terminals.  the specific section is what you'd want if you just
> want to enable that feature for specific workstations.
>
> I'm guessing that you are doing this on a Mac client tho.  I'm not sure
> what's in the mac tree.  that's not official LTSP-4.2.  I'm not sure how
> old it is.  Take a look in the (ltsp_root)/etc directory for a file
> called 'run_ltspinfod'.  If you have that file, then the
> 'ALLOW_SHUTDOWN' paramter should do the trick.  If you don't have that
> file, then your chroot tree is probably too old.
>

> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org
>

> > Thanks
> >
> > Craig
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 18:49 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote:
> >> Craig,
> >>
> >> The only way you can reboot or shutdown a terminal with ltspinfo is by
> >> setting the option in lts.conf that enables the remote capabilities.
> >>
> >> Specifically, you'd need:
> >>
> >>      ALLOW_SHUTDOWN = Y
> >>
> >> in your lts.conf.  It's disabled by default.
> >>
> >> Once that is set, you'd need to reboot the terminal for the new setting
> >> to take effect.
> >>
> >> Jim McQuillan
> >> jam at Ltsp.org

----
OK - going through what is happening on a PPC (iMac) workstation.

# ps aux|grep ltspinfo
  257         root       2628   S   /bin/sh /etc/run_ltspinfod
  354         root       1460   R   /sbin/ltspinfod --nodaemon -s -r

so it's clear that the line in /opt/ltsp/ppc/etc/inittab
l:345:respawn:/etc/run_ltspinfod

is being executed (pid 257) and in turn, that tells the system to
execute /sbin/ltspinfod --nodaemon -s -r (pid 354) but it's clearly not
responding to port 9200

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>