[K12OSN] LTSP5

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Fri Oct 12 00:43:18 UTC 2007

Actually, a beta version of K12LTSP7, based on Fedora 7, is available at
ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/testing/7.0.0-32bit/iso
and has been since July or so.  The problem is that K12LTSP is largely
the result of one man's efforts, Eric, and the time he can devote to it
varies.

While LTSP development is focused on LTSP 5, I would argue that there's
not a significant benefit *to users* of version 5 over version 4.2.
Therefore, in many (most?) cases, K12LTSP 6, based on LTSP 4.2 and
Fedora 6, or K12LTSP-5EL, based on LTSP 4.2 and Centos5, is just fine,
and can actually perform better in some areas such as client boot time.
  Lately, I've been sticking with vesion 5EL because it's got long-term
support, and I don't see any compelling advantage to LTSP 5 yet.  LTSP 5
is the future, and I watch it closely, but I don't think users will
notice much if any difference.  Others may disagree with me, and that's
okay. ;-)

Peter