[K12OSN] LTSP5

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Oct 12 21:43:12 UTC 2007

Jim McQuillan wrote:
> LTSP-5 is going to give you cool things like the latest version of Xorg.
>  LTSP-4.2 is stuck back in the world of Xorg-6.9.  By today's standards
> thats old stuff.  If you are using older hardware, LTSP-4.2 is great. If
> you have newer thin clients, based on newer chipsets, your only hope
> might be LTSP-5.

This is outstanding, Jim.  Will LTSP-5 be as good as LTSP-4.2 with older
hardware?

> the LTSP-5 in Ubuntu Gutsy, which will be released next week is WAY
> better than any previous releases.  It addresses the boot-time and
> run-time performance issues. It has awesome local device support, audio
> support, secure login and a bunch more features.

The boot time improvement sounds great.  The initial reaction from a few
teachers migrating from the K12 to EDU7.04 for LTSP services has been -
wow, it loads a lot slower, but it runs as well.  We are anticipating
the release of 7.10.  From what I have seen so from early downloads is
that, like frosted lucky charms, it's magically delicious.

> While K12LTSP is an awesome distro, the LTSP that's in it is starting to
> show its age.
>
> Jim McQuillan
> jam at Ltsp.org

--scott