[K12OSN] nfs traffic monitoring

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sat Oct 13 13:04:34 UTC 2007

Hello List,

I'm hoping someone may be able to shed some light on this. I was
monitoring via Ethereal/Wireshark on one server on eth0. I had two thin
clients logged through k12ltsp into a Winders terminal server sitting idle
after school hours. On eth0 Ethereal was showing almost 2MB's/sec, almost
2000 packets/sec, all udp/NFS traffic for 30 second capture time. Does
this seem like high volume for these two clients just sitting idle or is
there constant "chatter" between client/server?
I never actually see any traffic via Ethereal from the thin client to the
Winders TS I would guess because of natting? I guess I have never actually
done much monitoring this way via Ethereal for any period as it seems I'm
always putting out fires to keep the Winders machines UNvirused/going:)
We have several thin clients set this way to log into Winders TS to use
Accelerated Reader/Math,etc. At one of the other school buildings I have
setup all of these to run through Wine and I'm guessing this may be the
better setup?
Anyone care to explain, that is smarter than I am:).

Take Care,

Barry Cisna
westcentral school