[K12OSN] Removing students home from desktop

Joe Korzeniewski jkorzeni at battle-creek.k12.mi.us
Tue Oct 23 11:38:16 UTC 2007

Worked like a charm, thanks a bunch.

-Joe

>>> "Jim Kronebusch" <jim at winonacotter.org> 10/22/2007 1:52 PM >>>
On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:11:36 -0400, Joe Korzeniewski wrote
> Does anyone know of a way to remove default icons from the desktop such as the
> students' home folder, computer and trash? I have a script that mounts their
> network share once they have logged in, so I don't want to confuse them with
> their linux home directory.

I added the home icon to our Edubuntu Feisty setup with gconf-editor by checking
/apps/nautilus/desktop/home_icon_visible and making it mandatory and default.  I imagine
this would be similar with Fedora, so just be sure that the box is unchecked and right
click and set mandatory and default.  This should make them all go away and not show up
with new users.

Jim