[K12OSN] autologin with GDM on K12LTSP5-EL

Peter Scheie peter at scheie.homedns.org
Wed Oct 24 13:11:30 UTC 2007

I'm setting up autologin on a K12LTSP5-EL (CentOS 5) system.  While it
works for those client machines that I designate for autologin, it's
causing problems with those that should not autologin.  On a client that
should autologin, the GDM greeter shows a message that says "Login auto1
will login in X seconds", and X counts down to zero and it logs in.  But
on a non-autologin client, there should be no message at all; it should
just sit there waiting for a user to login.  Instead, I'm seeing "Login
will login in X seconds"; note the blank ID.  So, while the autologin
script is not returning a login ID for autologin for that client, just
as it should, GDM is still trying to make that client do autologin,
rather than interpreting the null value that the /usr/bin/autologin|
setting in /etc/gdm/custom.conf returns to mean "don't do autologin".

I've compared the /etc/gdm/custom.conf and /usr/bin/autologin with that
of a K12LTSP6 system where autologin is working correctly, and they're
identical, which suggests that GDM is once again broken with respect to
autologin.  K12LTSP 6/Fedora 6 uses gdm 2.16.5 whereas
K12LTSP5-EL/CentOS 5 uses gdm 2.16.0.  Is anyone else who is running
autologin on 5-EL seeing this behavior?

Peter