[K12OSN] smbldap - adding ldap users to local groups

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Wed Oct 24 19:40:55 UTC 2007

On Sat, Oct 20, 2007 at 02:46:42PM -0400, James P. Kinney III wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-10-21 at 06:32 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> > On 21/10/2007, James P. Kinney III <jkinney at localnetsolutions.com> wrote:
> > > On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 19:55 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> >
> > > It looks like you need to add users FROM the LDAP space TO the local
> > > fuse group.
> > >
> > > I think that creating an LDAP group called fusers and adding LDAP
> > > accounts to this group is step one. Then add the LDAP group fusers to be
> > > a member of the local machine fuse group.
> >
> > Step one is straightforward.
> > How do you do step two?
>
> From a console on the server as root:
>
> vigr (this is a vi-based group file editor - it locks the file to
> prevent other writes)
>
> now append fusers to the fuse group entry. If it is after another entry
> for the fuse group, use a comma between the entries.

I tried adding an ldap group to a local group and it did not work properly (it was as if members of the ldap group were not members of the local group).  Then I tried adding a local group to another local group and that also did not work (similar results as above).  Is there something special I need to do in order to allow a group to be a member of another group and have the "child group" inherit the permissions of the "parent group"?

-Rob