[K12OSN] Re: Bare metal backup strategy with RAID 10

ssh at tranquility.net ssh at tranquility.net
Wed Oct 31 02:02:11 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-10-29 at 04:41 +1300, Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> On 29/10/2007, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > We have BackupPC set up to backup /home and configuration files.
> > Does anyone know of a good strategy to backup a complete system (that
> > is using Linux software RAID 10)?
<snipped>

Mondorescue may be what you need. It lets you back up to tape, ISO, NFS
mounts or nearly anything writable. I have been using it off and on for
years. I stopped for awhile, because there was a disagreement on the
default blocksize between Fedora and Mondorescue.

This was _very_ annoying after it had worked perfectly for years. For
the sake of archive, here is the solution I found:

Q20/ I get error messages like size 4096, block-18446744071562067968,
b_blocknr=2147483648 what is the problem ?¶
        You may be using a default minimum blocksize for RAM disks of 4k
        (Fedora kernel 2.6.18* and higher, e.g., RHEL5, ...) so try to
        add ramdisk_blocksize=1024 to your boot command at boot prompt
        of isolinux when booting your mondorescue media. For example:

        boot: interactive ramdisk_blocksize=1024

        Another way to solve it is to edit the file /usr/sbin/mindi and
        add the ramdisk_blocksize to the line of additional boot
        parameters. Then make a new backup.

        I added it to mindi and it works flawlessly. I backup to 110 gig
        tapes. I can format and restore from bare metal in under 30
        minutes. When I first got this working reliably, I would
        gleefully blow away my working install every day, just to see it
        happen.
        I use it on a basic filesystem, but looking through
        http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondorescue-howto.html it looks
        like it can back up LVM and RAID. You may need to manually edit
        the mountlist manually to restore, but backup can be automated
        through cron jobs.

        I use it on K12LTSP 4.4.2 and I had to get a newer version than
        was available in the repos.

        Hope this helps,
        Scott S.