[K12OSN] Use K12LTSP with existing DHCP server

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Oct 8 00:26:25 UTC 2007

Kevin Mims wrote:
> OK, bear with me, I'm definitely a Linux/K12LTSP newbie.
>
> I have built a K12LTSP Server but want to it to coexist with our existing DHCP Windows server.  How can I tell the server and thin clients to get an address from the Windows DHCP server, but boot the linux image on the K12LTSP server?
>
> I suppose I'd still need two network cards in the K12 server, right?
> Can someone head me in the right direction on setting this up?  I think this is in the DCHP.conf file...

There are 2 choices.  If you install K12LTSP in a system with 2 NICs, it
comes up working with DHCP only on one of them (where you connect the
clients) and the other can be connected to your main LAN.  If you only
have one system and the clients can be on a separate switch behind it,
this is the easy approach.

The other option is to install everything on a single subnet and
configure a single DHCP server to hand out the necessary options for
client booting.  How this is done will depend on the type of DHCP
server, and it makes bandwidth more of a concern.

--
   Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com