[K12OSN] Moving Home files to a new server

Carl Keil carl at snarlnet.com
Mon Oct 8 04:45:52 UTC 2007

Hi Folks,

So, the big disaster happened.  My K12LTSP hard drive died.  I've got
everything backed up (thank you BackupPC), so I thought I was golden,
but I'm having a weird problem.

When I restore files from backup they are showing up "read only" in
people's directories.  When I do a "ls -la /home/username" it is showing
that the files are owned by other users and other groups.  A "chown -R
username:groupname /home/username" doesn't solve the problem.

I tried copying over all the 500+ /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow info from
the most recent backup but after that I couldn't even log in as
different users.  Any suggestions for what I should do?  I'd really like
to just set up new user accounts for everyone and then just copy over
selected files from backup for each user.  This is a family installation
of K12LTSP, so there are only about 10 user accounts.  I used "useradd"
on the new server to create everyone's account and I don't think I did
them in the same order as the original server.  Should I delete everyone
and re-add them in the exact same order?  I could do that based on
/etc/passwd from the backup?

Thanks a lot,

ck