[K12OSN] Moving Home files to a new server

Nils Breunese nils at breun.nl
Mon Oct 8 08:44:07 UTC 2007

Carl Keil wrote:

> So, the big disaster happened.  My K12LTSP hard drive died.  I've
> got everything backed up (thank you BackupPC), so I thought I was
> golden, but I'm having a weird problem.
>
> When I restore files from backup they are showing up "read only" in
> people's directories.  When I do a "ls -la /home/username" it is
> showing that the files are owned by other users and other groups.

That's probably because the numerical uid's and gid's on your new
server are probably different from your old server.

> A "chown -R username:groupname /home/username" doesn't solve the
> problem.

You mean that running that doesn't make username and groupname the
owner? That's really weird. Do you get an error message of some kind?

> I tried copying over all the 500+ /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow info
> from the most recent backup but after that I couldn't even log in
> as different users.  Any suggestions for what I should do?  I'd
> really like to just set up new user accounts for everyone and then
> just copy over selected files from backup for each user.  This is a
> family installation of K12LTSP, so there are only about 10 user
> accounts.

In that case I guess you really should be fine when you create the
user accounts and just get everyone's homedir files from BackupPC.
You might need to chown the files (might also depend on how you
restore (directly or via tar or zip)), but that really should be it.

> I used "useradd" on the new server to create everyone's account and
> I don't think I did them in the same order as the original server.
> Should I delete everyone and re-add them in the exact same order?
> I could do that based on /etc/passwd from the backup?

You could try that, but maybe uid's start at a different number on
your new install (did you install the same version of K12LTSP as you
have on your old server?). You shouldn't have to do this, chown
should be able to fix the files.

Nils Breunese.