[K12OSN] Moving Home files to a new server

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 10:46:20 UTC 2007

On Monday 08 October 2007 00:45, Carl Keil wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> So, the big disaster happened.  My K12LTSP hard drive died.  I've got
> everything backed up (thank you BackupPC), so I thought I was golden,
> but I'm having a weird problem.
>
> When I restore files from backup they are showing up "read only" in
> people's directories.  When I do a "ls -la /home/username" it is showing
> that the files are owned by other users and other groups.  A "chown -R
> username:groupname /home/username" doesn't solve the problem.

What!? Unless your /home partition is mounted read-only the ownership should
change when root tells it to change. What, if any, change takes place when
you issue that command? Do you get any error message? Make sure that /home is
mounted read/write.

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |