[K12OSN] smbldap - changing passwords

Craig White craig at tobyhouse.com
Mon Oct 8 16:33:36 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 11:22 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> I ran the smbldap-installer scripts on a Debian Etch machine as a test.  Everything seems to have worked fine.  My question is, what is the proper method to change passwords (as a non-privileged user).
>
> 'smbpasswd' seems to work.  Is this what I'm supposed to use?  What about a linux-only user who is not assigned any samba credentials?
----
No - if not a samba user, it won't work
----

> 'passwd' gives me this error after allowing me to enter my new password twice:
> LDAP password information update failed: Unknown error
>
> 'ldappasswd' gives me this error immediately:
> ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute (16)
----
bad configuration in /etc/ldap.conf - probably need to fix this.
----

> '/usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd' lets me enter my new password twice, then gives me these two errors:
> failed to modify entry: Insufficient access at /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd line 227, <STDIN> line 3.
> Unable to change password: Insufficient access at /usr/sbin/smbldap-passwd line 261, <STDIN> line 3.
----
looks like some problems with setup in smbldap_bind.conf (and maybe
smbldap.conf too)
----

> Also, I don't have any Windows clients to test...  Does changing passwords through the Windows password utility work?
----
If smb.conf and smbldap.conf and smbldap_bind.conf are all properly
configured, you should be able to change both samba and unix passwords
from the Windows change password facilities.

see 'ldap passwd sync = yes' option in smb.conf documentation...

http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#ldappwsync

--
Craig White <craig at tobyhouse.com>