[K12OSN] Authenticating Edubuntu 7.04 LTSP Clients from SMBLDAP - Solved

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Thu Oct 11 02:30:19 UTC 2007

Jim Kronebusch wrote:

Thanks, Jim.  I think you see from the other post that the main issue
was solved.

> I am not sure what you mean by a script to sync LDAP to LTSP.  Maybe you mean the
> pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/ line in common-session?:

Well, at first I thought maybe there was a UID type issue that could be
changed by comparing and changing the settings.  I was clearly grasping
for logic.

> sudo vim common-session
> 		Add:
> 			session required        pam_unix.so
> 			session required        pam_mkhomedir.so skel=/etc/skel/
> 			session optional        pam_ldap.so
> 			session optional        pam_foreground.so
>
> This is the part that tells LDAP to create a /home directory if one doesn't exist and to
> copy the contents from /etc/skel there (I think :-).  I wasn't able to get things
> working without this.

Your excellent how-to guide included this, and it works.  In fact, we
are copying our template user's configs into here (/etc/skel) so that
future users have the pre-defined desktop setting we want.

It is currently not working just right simply because not all monitors
are automagically adjusting to 1024x768.  Once I figure that out, well,
there will be something else.

> Jim

--scott