[K12OSN] USB hub not working on VXL thinclients ( TC4331 ) SOLVED

Meelis meelis at nlib.ee
Thu Oct 11 08:25:46 UTC 2007

Hi Jim and thanks for the reply.

If there was a text about this by Scott Balnaeves it would have been nice to
make a reference to it at that time. No answer about it will not make me
belive that nobody knows nothing at all. I'm a forum person and I'm used to
the custom that instead of not answering people post links to related topics
or webpages in order to help me get some sort of solution. However I have
found a solution to USB problem thaks to Dave Hopkins who was kind to help
me. There is no need to start pointing fingers and blaim people as this will
take all day and solves nothing. :)

For the future I'll share my solution as it might help others who may get
the same problem :)

My problem was with the kernel that was too old to handle new terminal USB
hub. As I tried to update it by yum I found out that this did not do the
trick. It did update packages but left alone LTSP packages that were in use.
So first I updated by yum that downloaded new k12ltsp packages with the new
kernel files.

Now that I had the kernel I needed to give them to terminals. However as yum
did not update ltsp fully I needed to use ltspadmin utility and set the
location to old ltsp dir. ( /opt/ltsp ). Default would have been
/opt/ltsp-4.2 or someting like that. So now that I updated by ltspadmin and
my files in ltsp directory were fully updated I needed to make some new
symlinks in order to serve terminals the new kernel.

So first I copied from the kernel dir (from tftpboot dir made by yum) new
PXE files to old PXE directory. Next I remade the symlinks to point to the
new kernel. This did the trick as my terminals started to download the
kernel and finally I got the USB hub working.

With regards,
Meelis
---
meelis at nlib.ee