[K12OSN] smbldap and XP Home - non-domain member access

David Whitmer thewhitmers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 14:55:52 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Rob Owens <rowens at bio-chemvalve.com> wrote:

> If I use the smbldap-installer scripts, will I still be able to create a
> Samba share that is accessible to non-domain members?  For instance, XP
> Home Edition machines (which do not have the ability to join a domian).
>
> My understanding of a windows domain is that all shares and services are
> only available to domain members.  I'd like to be able to bypass that
> rule with my soon-to-be smbldap setup, if possible.
>
> -Rob

Do you want the XP Home Edition users to have to supply a username &
password when access the Samba shares?

In our setup, XP Home Edition users can easily access our file server's
Samba shares by just supplying their domain username & password when
prompted for those.  (We'd used the smbldap-installer scripts, too.)

David Whitmer
Director of Media & Technology
Calvary Schools of Holland (Michigan)
web: www.calvaryschoolsholland.org