[K12OSN] Linux, Windows, and my DNS troubles

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Fri Oct 12 01:00:06 UTC 2007

Hi Shane.

I'm too tired right now to follow everything that you wrote, but here's some food for thought.  MS systems often (always?) use a WINS server to get DNS information.  I've seen issues in the past where WINS and DNS somehow got a different set if hostname-to-IP mappings.  I'm not 100% sure if this is only for internal IP addresses or if it goes for external ones as well.

To clear cached DNS info on the clients, you can use:
/etc/init.d/nscd restart (on linux)
ipconfig /flushdns (on windows)

I recall reading somewhere that Firefox has its own DNS cache.  I'm not sure how to clear it, or if that's even a correct statement, but you might want to look into it.

-Rob