[K12OSN] LTSP5

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Fri Oct 12 17:02:39 UTC 2007

Craig White wrote:
> ----
> even though I've always been a Red Hat / Fedora / CentOS user, I would
> have no qualms about switching over to Ubuntu for LTSP.

In concept, neither would I, as I'm a major Kubuntu fan (my mail server
runs Ubuntu Dapper).  However, whenever I've tried to demo Edubuntu LTSP
in front of actual people, it craps out in some way.  The most recent
was my Feisty Fawn demo in late June of this year.  Terminals would
simply hang, with no apparent reason (the server console itself was
fine).  Since this was a demo, I didn't have time to diagnose it.  I had
people in front of me, watching!

Thank goodness I had planned for Murphy's Law and had a second server
running K12LTSP 5.0EL to use for my demo!  It worked like a charm (thank
you, Eric!!).  To save face, I blamed the hardware and still talked up
Edubuntu.

Later, after everyone had left, I tried out K12LTSP 5.0EL on the exact
same hardware as the Edubuntu Feisty setup.  Everything worked
perfectly.  Looks like the hardware's good after all.

I like what the Edubuntu project is doing, and I *love* both Ubuntu
Server and Kubuntu Desktop.  Heck, I like Edubuntu as a desktop!  But
for now, the K12LTSP "EL" releases seem to be the most solid ones for
actual LTSP deployments.  I simply can't take the risk of that happening
again.  Especially in front of decision-makers.

Maybe it'll be better with Gutsy or Hardy.  I'll give both a fair shot.

--TP