[K12OSN] X -query possible with LTSP 5?

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Mon Oct 22 17:46:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:12:04 -0400, Jim McQuillan wrote
> Jim,
>
> Sure it's possible.  Just because LTSP isn't using XDMCP anymore doesn't
> mean you can't use it from a mac.
>
> You'll just need to configure GDM to allow remote connections.  That's
> possible through the "Login Window" preferences.

Is there any side effects to this or should everything still work just as before?

Only reason to doing this that teachers still run OSX until next summer.  So in the
meantime I want to provide them and easy solution (such as a shortcut on their desktop)
that will allow them to run the LTSP environment from their current osx session without
any rebooting or anything.  So the old X -query trick was the first thing that came to mind.

If you could just give me a confirmation that this "shouldn't" (I promise I won't take
that as a guarantee :-) break anything or have any performance hits, I'll give it a whirl.

I thought of VNC or FreeNX, but just thought that this could be quicker, and the
keyboard mapping thing was a bugger before when I tried it.  But that was almost 5
months ago, so maybe this is fixed.

Thanks,
Jim