[K12OSN] VMWare and K12LTSP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Fri Oct 26 13:49:52 UTC 2007

Peter Scheie wrote:
> I've got a site where I installed VMWare and Win XP onto the K12LTSP-5EL
> server.  One user had a few Windows apps they couldn't do without, and
> it was cheaper than buying a separate Windows machine, etc.  While the
> permissions are such that any of the users can use the XP VM, I think
> only that one user so far is using it.  It works pretty well, but it's a
> small installation and I don't know how well it would scale up to many
> simultaneous users.

I don't think you'd want to run more than one or two VM's at once along
with normal k12ltsp activity.  However, you might configure a windows
server under vmware to provide terminal servers to several rdesktop
clients.  One really nice thing about using virtual machines is that you
can save an image in a working state (at the file level even without any
of the internal snapshot tricks), do some experimental stuff, and if you
don't like it you can always discard the new copy and go back to a state
you liked.  They are great for testing things even if you end up needing
another machine to handle your load.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com