[K12OSN] Client can't get IP

Joe Korzeniewski jkorzeni at battle-creek.k12.mi.us
Sat Oct 27 18:36:16 UTC 2007

Fajar,

Although I haven't experienced this particular problem, I can tell you what I would start with. Get a hub (a real hub, not a switch) and download wireshark (runs on windows or linux). Wireshark is a packet analyzer and you can see all the traffic going on between that host and the server. Simply filter by the mac address of the client you are trying to boot and you should be able to see the dhcp dialog going on and it will give you a clue as to what part of the process is failing. Post back to the list with the results (which part is failing) and we can help from there. If you aren't familiar with the dhcp process, this link describes the basics of what happens.

http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/lan/dhcp/process.shtml

The LTSP boot process does more with dhcp than just what is described in that page, but it does describe the part that you need to troubleshoot.

-Joe

>>> "Fajar Adianto" <adiantof at gmail.com> 10/26/2007 11:39 AM >>>
I am new in LTSP. I use various brand of lancards in client machines and
boot via floppy. All cards work well except realtek8139c and realtek 8139b
(8139d's work). The clients boot stop on searching DHCP server. However from
/var/log/messages I know that server had offered ip for the clients, but
clients screen keep on displaying Searching for DHCP server ........I have
tried various version of ROM image from rom-o-matic. What might go wrong?

Thank you.