[K12OSN] Bare metal backup strategy with RAID 10

Krsnendu dasa krsnendu108 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 28 15:37:13 UTC 2007

We have BackupPC set up to backup /home and configuration files.
Does anyone know of a good strategy to backup a complete system (that
is using Linux software RAID 10)?

Without RAID we can use SysrescueCD and then use Partimage to make an
image copy of the partition that / is mounted on. This allows us to
attempt updates etc, and if it doesn't work we can go back to the last
working system without having to reinstall and reconfigure the whole
system again (smbldap, flash with sound, printers etc.)

I don't think partimage works with RAID 10. Is that right?
Are there alternatives? Is it possible to just tar the whole / tree
and achive the same effect?

Thanks,
Krsnendu dasa