[K12OSN] MS-Publisher ,Samba problem RE-saving files

Barry Cisna brcisna at eazylivin.net
Sun Oct 28 18:06:51 UTC 2007

I posted the following over at lists samba org but not receive any

 Hello All,

Run into a weird one. When students save their MS Publisher files to the
samba server,they save fine. But,when they reopen them to edit them,
then try to resave them they will not save. Even if they save with an
extra number behind the original file name they do not save. I enabled
hidden files and I do not see any lock files that have been placed into
the Samba server /users/home folder? Also when MS Publisher is opened to
the already saved files on Samba  the program throws a couple errors about
not finding the Samba shared printers.
I'm guessing it is possibly a terminal services bug with MS Publisher
program itself. The old days of trying to get some of the $MS programs to
even install correctly on TS servers:( I'm glad they are gone.
This is MS Office 2003, if that makes any diff. I never see any errors  in
the samba logs either right after doing the failed save.All other formats
of MS Office save and re save fine. Anyone run into this before?
I know we should migrate to OO2,,:) I've tried to convince all the Winders
diehards of this!

Thanks,

Barry Cisna