[K12OSN] smbldap - adding ldap users to local groups

Rob Owens rowens at ptd.net
Tue Oct 30 16:30:39 UTC 2007

I decided to try changing all of my local devices to have ldap-group memberships.  For instance, I ran this command:

find /dev -group audio -exec chgrp ldapaudio {} \;

This finds every file in /dev with "audio" group membership and changes it to "ldapaudio" group membership.  This works and my ldap user who is a member of the "ldapaudio" group but not the local "audio" group has access to sound devices.  The problem is that on reboot, many of these /dev files get set back to "audio" group membership.  Does anybody know how to stop this?  I'm working on a Debian machine right now, but I'm interested in doing this on Debian, Ubuntu, and CentOS.

-Rob