[K12OSN] dansguardian filter

george kocke webmaster at vol.org
Fri Sep 7 15:46:45 UTC 2007

Kari Matthews wrote:

> 1.  I need to be able to report how other schools use Dansguardian or
> similar filtering tools.

> 2.  I need to educate the principal on this topic.  Can you think of any
> info I can throw his way to persuade him to let up the screws a little bit?

DansGuardian is extremely effective when using prepared lists and your
own lists of domains, URLs, phrases, etc.

What I suggest is setting it up to log usernames and using that to show
your principal that you can provide detailed reports of what your
students are doing. There is a CGI script (dglog.pl) that will allow you
to produce these reports.

One technique I've found extremely effective with students is to use a
projector to show them DansGuardian logs in real time as they search.
They're a bit shocked when they see their usernames in the logs.

I also show them that I can see exactly what they're typing into the
Google search box via a perl script I wrote.

This message has been scanned by the Internet Service Departments Virus/Spam filter.