[K12OSN] FOSS music notation and editing software

Tim Born k12osn at deltacfax.com
Wed Sep 12 01:13:50 UTC 2007

Ah.  Sorry about the brevity.

If you have ever viewed fonts that have been 'tuned' and properly
kerned, you will know they are pleasing to the eye.
You may not know *why*, but you can tell something about that font is
"good".

In a similar way to a beautifully set type font, Lilypad knows how to
set music.
It knows how *much* better than I do.  The spacing looks "right", not
mechanical / mono-spaced.
Like I said, I'm no musician, but I can appreciate the difference in two
versions of the same score.
The one set by Lilypad is likely to be better looking than almost any
sheet music you buy, unless your publisher has hand-tuned the score.

The Lilypad site has an essay that explains some of the extreme lengths
they go to in order to set the score "correctly":
http://lilypond.org/web/about/automated-engraving/

There are also lots of scores out there already set in Lilypad.  Print
one up and compare it to something from the music store and see for
yourself if it doesn't look better.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with 'Denomo'.
I can type, so using Lilypad wasn't hard.
Learning to read the notes was the hard part for me ;-) , but that's
probably something a music teacher would encourage.

best,
-tim