[K12OSN] Only Konqueror Works

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Sep 12 11:44:55 UTC 2007

Mark Trimble wrote:
> I'm perplexed by a problem I'm encountering in K12LTSP fc6. Konqueror
> browses the web without a problem with its proxy settings set to
> "Direct Connection to Internet", while Mozilla Firefox fails to
> function with the same setting. If I change Firefox's proxy settings
> to "Automatic Discovery of Proxy", it will usually load Google, but
> nothing else afterwards. Changing "System:Preferences:Network Proxy"
> from Direct to Manual or Automatic doesn't appear to make a
> difference.
>
> Yum isn't successful connecting to the Internet either.
>
> Why would Konqueror work, but nothing else?

Try traceroute www.yahoo.com and see what happens.  UNIX/GNU traceroute
uses one of the high UDP ports.  If that works, then try telnetting
(from a terminal) to www.yahoo.com on TCP 80.  I suspest that this
second step won't work.  Any other boxes (UNIX, GNU/Linux, Mac,
whatever) that can Web surf on the same IP subnet that the K12LTSP
server's sitting on?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.gnu.org/>--the ultimate antivirus