[K12OSN] Remote Desktop immage while ssh

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 17:59:53 UTC 2007

On Friday 14 September 2007 14:20, Alan Hodson wrote:
> A quick question for users who frequently use ssh
>
> While remotely logged in, what is the command to make the remote desktop
> appear? - I'd like to be able to set background images for all the students
> remotely by using the dropbox

The question as asked is a trick question: ssh doesn't make remote desktops
appear.

You can re-direct X on the remote machine by using the "-X" switch. This will
set the display to be re-directed into the ssh tunnel so that the local X
server can display the output from the remote application.

	ssh -X remote.machine.com

This assumes that the remote sshd will allow re-direction (most do, all can be
so configured).

So much for remote applications. If you want entire remote desktops/sessions,
look into NX/freenx; they use ssh for transport and handle remote sessions
even over low bandwidth (but they aren't ssh).

                        - Mark Twain

| John Lucas                          MrJohnLucas at gmail.com               |
| St. Thomas, VI 00802                http://mrjohnlucas.googlepages.com/ |
| 18.3°N, 65°W                        AST (UTC-4)                         |