[K12OSN] Office 2007 and OpenOffice

Rita Gibson rgibson57 at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 12:52:15 UTC 2007

I guess I've been living under a rock, so I am unaware of what is going
on between Office 2007 and OpenOffice.

Can anyone fill me in? There are some kids bringing Office 2007
documents into the building and are unable to open them in OpenOffice. I
have not seen this myself, but this is what the technology teacher is
telling me. I did a quick google, but found no practical information
from a user standpoint, just discussions about Open XML and ODF. I see
there is an ODF converter for Office 2007, but it would be impossible to
have parents install a converter. In the past, it was much easier to
have OpenOffice be able to open Microsoft and save as Microsoft, less
knowledge on the part of the user necessary....

This may be a huge problem in our building since all of the staff just
switched to Office 2007 on their windows machines. :^(

Thanks,

Rita Gibson
RMSELTech