[K12OSN] SambaLDAP question

Brian Chivers brian at portsmouth-college.ac.uk
Fri Sep 28 13:04:43 UTC 2007

John Ingleby wrote:
> We successfully joined the first XP Pro machine to our Samba LDAP
> domain, but further machines simply return the error message "The
> specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".
>
> We're using K12LTSP v5.0 for the classroom thin client server, with
> CentOS 5 for the backend file & authentication server. With donated
> machines and classes of 12-15 this seems the way to go.
>
> The important Windows XP Pro client registry settings are all the same,
> so most likely we have somehow varied the procedure for adding machine
> accounts. Can anyone point me to a detailed step-by-step howto for
> adding machine accounts & joining Windows machines to the SambaLDAP
> domain?
>
> The various LDAP-Samba HowTos are great for setting up Samba, and we
> appear to have completed those steps successfully. However, I cannot
> find a sufficiently detailed explanation of the subsequent steps for
>
> a) setting up machine accounts with SambaLDAP

This should be managed using the smbldap-passwd scripts with a section like this in your smb.conf file

   # use the smbldap-tools scripts
   add user script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -m "%u"
   #delete user script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-userdel "%u"
   add machine script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-useradd -w "%u"
   add group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupadd -p "%g"
   #delete group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupdel "%g"
   add user to group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -m "%u" "%g"
   delete user from group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-groupmod -x "%u" "%g"
   set primary group script = /opt/IDEALX/sbin/smbldap-usermod -g "%g" "%u"

> b) creating the Samba (or LDAP?) root user & password

smbpasswd -a root

where this is a DIFFERENT password to you linux root password

> c) joining XP Pro machines to the domain

Right click on My computer, Properties, Computer Name, Then click on the change button next to the line

To rename the computer or join a domain .....

Hope this help at least get you started :-)

Brian