[K12OSN] ddefault configuration questions

Jon Harder linuxk12 at mountainlake.k12.mn.us
Fri Sep 28 15:23:42 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese wrote:
> Jon Harder wrote:
> > First, how can I set the preferred mailreader to default to thunderbird?
> > That is, when a user first logs on, it is already thunderbird and they
> > do not need to select it via the System -> Preferences -> More
> > Preferences -> Prefered Applications menu.
>
> - Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor)
> - Start gconf-editor as root
> - Navigate to /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto
> - Replace 'evolution --component=mail %s' with 'thunderbird -compose %s'
> - Right-click the key and select 'Select as Default' (you can also
> choose Mandatory if you do not want to allow your users to change this)

This is what I was looking for. It worked as advertised. Thanks. Now I
can preconfigure an email client for each of my users automatically when
I create their accounts.

Rob Owens wrote:
> > Jon Harder wrote:
> > Clients randomly choose between SCREEN_01 and SCREEN_02 when they
> > start up. I want it to open consistently on SCREEN_01. Hopefully most
> > users won't even need to know about rdesktop. I tried delaying the startup
> > of SCREEN_02 with a sleep of several seconds, but no luck with that.
>
> I came up with a solution to the "random screen" problem a few weeks
> back.  See this thread:
> http://marc.info/?l=ltsp-discuss&m=118822138808083&w=2
>
> Basically it involves inserting a 'read' statement into the screen
> scripts located in /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/screen.d/

This is an acceptable solution and solved my problem. Thanks!

Jon Harder wrote:
> Finally, how do I change the default image on the linux login screen.
> Does it need to be a certain size?

I found this answer myself. The word I was looking for was "greeter" and
its basic configuration can be changed with gdmsetup. In my configuration,
the logo image is at /opt/ltsp/templates/k12linux/k12ltsp.jpg and the size
need not be exact, although about 300 px seems like a nice width.

--
Jon Harder
Mountain Lake (MN) Public Schools