Re: [K12OSN] Can not get 4 GB memory

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 18:00:19 +0800, Jean Phil wrote

I have installed k12ltsp 6.0 64bit on a Pentium D with 4 GB of memory. But
according to the system monitor I have only 3.2 GB memory. How can I get all
4 GB ram?

3.2 GB almost certainly indicates you are running a 32-bit kernel.  Try installing the
server kernel and see if that helps.

Another possibility is that the computer is saddled with a 32-bit motherboard chipset.  Anything with, as just one example, an Intel i945 chipset will have this problem.  I have a laptop affected by this.  The CPU is an Intel Core 2 Duo 64-bit, the kernel is 64-bit (Ubuntu Feisty x86-64), but the chipset has space for only 2^32 memory addresses.  If that's what's going on, then that means that, no matter *what* you do, the PCI addressing will suck up your top-end address space, 64-bit kernel or not, due to the chipset's hardware limitation.  In my Latitude D620, the BIOS shows two 2GB sticks installed, but only 3.25GB available for use.  I spent five hours on the phone with Dell before I finally got them to admit this (the i965 fixes that problem--it addresses 2^33 bytes, or 8GB).

Check out your chipset and see which one it is.  "lspci" should be quite helpful in that regard.

--TP