Re: [K12OSN] DHCP Documentation

50 each...you *could* do individual DHCP reservations for, say, 50 of the clients pointing to one LTSP server, and then have everyone else point to the other LTSP server.  A little high-maintenance, but it certainly does work.  Say your first LTSP server is 10.0.4.254 and your second one is 10.0.5.254.  You want to direct a specific client (MAC address 11-22-33-44-55-66) to 10.0.5.254.

host ws001 {
   hardware ethernet     11:22:33:44:55:66:
   option root-path      "10.0.5.254:/opt/ltsp/i386";
   next-server          "10.0.5.254";
   filename              "/lts/boot/pxe/pxelinux.0";

Here's another option, the one I'd be looking at over the long haul.  If your router and your switches all support 802.1Q VLAN trunking, then I'd pop each LTSP server in its own fully-routed IP subnet.  For example, using Cisco gear, something like this:

interface FastEthernet0/1.101
  description LTSP Server #1's subnet
  encapsulation dot1q 101
  ip address 10.0.8.1 255.255.255.0

interface FastEthernet0/1.102
  description LTSP Server #2's subnet
  encapsulation dot1q 102
  ip address 10.0.9.1 255.255.255.0

! This assumes that you propagate your routing table info via OSPF, like we do in my district
router ospf 100
  network 10.0.8.1 0.0.0.0 area 0
  network 10.0.9.1 0.0.0.0 area 0

Then, make VLAN's 101 and 102 in your switch, turn on your trunking, and pop whatever client ports you want for LTSP server #1 into VLAN 101, and the client ports for LTSP server #2 into VLAN 102.  Your LTSP servers will, of course, need to be put into the new subnets and VLAN's as well.  Note that everything's still fully routable internally throughout the school; you're not doing any NAT'ing here.

--TP
Do you GNU!?

Mel Wade wrote:
1. About 50 each.