[K12OSN] OT - user passwords

Todd O'Bryan toddobryan at mac.com
Fri Sep 7 20:10:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 13:05 -0700, rmcdaniel at indata.us wrote:
> I have just setup a lab of 30 clients with K12LTSP v. 6.  I am showing
> the students how to change their password.  The system keeps telling
> me that the word is a dictionary word and will not allow me to use the
> password.  Is there a way to over ride the strong password settings???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ron

Rather than do that, teach the students how to choose a strong password.
The easiest thing to do is to pick a phrase that includes capital
letters, lower case letters, symbols, and/or numbers. For example,

MlbB'sai4y<m

is a fairly secure password. But

"My little brother Billy's age is 4 years less than mine."

is fairly easy to remember.

Start them early picking secure passwords. Then we won't have to explain
that someone changed a teacher's grades because his password was his
dog's name.

Todd