[K12OSN] Coordinating for NECC 2008

Steve Hargadon steve.hargadon at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 22:58:34 UTC 2007

On 9/13/07, Hoover Chan <chan at sacredsf.org> wrote:

That being said, I noticed that the NECC abstract deadline is coming up
> faster than expected. I was wondering what all is being planned for NECC
> 2008 as far as Open Source activities.

I know NECC has contacted me again, and asked me to chair the Open Source
speakers committee, and that we'll have an Open Source "pavilion" again.

Given the kinds of questions that frequently come up, I was wondering
> whether it might be useful to have an "Install Fest" where we can
> demonstrate what it would take to do a basic installation and deployment.
> Maybe something where we encourage people to bring their own computers or
> laptops where appropriate distro CD's are available at the session to
> install?

I like the idea.  We've never done that before.  I don't know if we'd get
many takers during the actual conference times, as people are going to be
reluctant to monkey with their computers during a conference when they
depend on them.   :)   It's most likely the local folks would maybe be
interested, and we could do something in combination with a LUG there.

As a related matter, I'm about to do a call for presenters for this years
CUE.org show, where we'll have an "Open Source" pavilion as well.  March, in
Palm Springs.  :)

Steve

--
Steve Hargadon