Re: [K12OSN] Coordinating for NECC 2008

Peter Scheie wrote:
There isn't a live CD for demonstrating the booting of thin clients.

Right, but in the context of LTSP, the notion of an installfest is also somewhat meaningless. ;-) I understood Hoover to be talking about FOSS and Linux installs more generally - not many people will be traveling with LSTP servers...

There is, however, a live CD that contains/shows the applications that come with K12LTSP, which is probably more useful as a give-away at a conference anyway. The CD is an Edubuntu disk that I doctored so that it looks like K12LTSP 6, which I then handout to teachers so they can explore K12LTSP at their convenience. The irony is that the true brilliance of LTSP--that old machines can be given new life as snappy thin clients--isn't what most people care about.

Excellent idea and pretty much what I was thinking of. I've been playing with doctoring the Ubuntu live CD to have a complete Java and Python programming environment, but I'm still working on shrinking it down to CD size. Now if you want a DVD, I can do that... ;-)

My point was that live CD's have come to a point where they can be more useful in a conference environment and we can concentrate more on demo'ing the software rather than spending an afternoon troubleshooting driver issues, as we used to do at our LUG installfests.

The live CD, aka "K12LTSP's Greatest Hits", is available at ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/live-cd-demo

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Vern

--