[K12OSN] Coordinating for NECC 2008

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Sat Sep 15 19:48:33 UTC 2007

Peter Scheie wrote:
> There isn't a live CD for demonstrating the booting of thin clients.

Right, but in the context of LTSP, the notion of an installfest is also
somewhat meaningless. ;-) I understood Hoover to be talking about FOSS
and Linux installs more generally - not many people will be traveling
with LSTP servers...

> There is, however, a live CD that contains/shows the applications that
> come with K12LTSP, which is probably more useful as a give-away at a
> conference anyway.  The CD is an Edubuntu disk that I doctored so that
> it looks like K12LTSP 6, which I then handout to teachers so they can
> explore K12LTSP at their convenience.  The irony is that the true
> brilliance of LTSP--that old machines can be given new life as snappy
> thin clients--isn't what most people care about.

Excellent idea and pretty much what I was thinking of. I've been playing
with doctoring the Ubuntu live CD to have a complete Java and Python
programming environment, but I'm still working on shrinking it down to
CD size. Now if you want a DVD, I can do that... ;-)

My point was that live CD's have come to a point where they can be more
useful in a conference environment and we can concentrate more on
demo'ing the software rather than spending an afternoon troubleshooting
driver issues, as we used to do at our LUG installfests.

> The live CD, aka "K12LTSP's Greatest Hits", is available at
> ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/live-cd-demo

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look.

Cheers,
Vern

--