[K12OSN] Remote Desktop immage while ssh

John Lucas mrjohnlucas at gmail.com
Sun Sep 16 10:18:28 UTC 2007

On Saturday 15 September 2007 23:44, ahodson wrote:
> Hi Nils
>
>  From my server I need to ssh into 6 other servers - I use
> <ssh -l root 10.###.###.### -X>
> to gain console access, and then run routines like
> /usr/bin/system-config-users
> to add new students to a server, etc. The question was directed at
> finding out how to turn console into the remote desktop, so I can then
> push a chosen desktop background to all users using the "Push new
> icons..." desktop icon... Is this doable this way?
> Thanks for helping
> alan
> -=o=-

If I have decoded "how to turn console into the remote desktop" correctly,
then you would need NX/freenx and log onto the remote system as root (where
the "Push new icons..." are located). You could *try* something like this
(assuming KDE for the moment):

	ssh -X -l root remotemachine '/usr/bin/startkde'

But I don't think you would like the result. NX is more efficient, you can
suspend sessions etc. NX/freenx would be the right tool.