Re: [K12OSN] Remote Desktop immage while ssh

John Lucas wrote:

On Saturday 15 September 2007 23:44, ahodson wrote:
Hi Nils

 From my server I need to ssh into 6 other servers - I use
<ssh -l root 10.###.###.### -X>
to gain console access, and then run routines like
/usr/bin/system-config-users
to add new students to a server, etc. The question was directed at
finding out how to turn console into the remote desktop, so I can then
push a chosen desktop background to all users using the "Push new
icons..." desktop icon... Is this doable this way?
Thanks for helping
alan
-=o=-

If I have decoded "how to turn console into the remote desktop" correctly, then you would need NX/freenx and log onto the remote system as root (where the "Push new icons..." are located). You could *try* something like this
(assuming KDE for the moment):

	ssh -X -l root remotemachine '/usr/bin/startkde'

But I don't think you would like the result. NX is more efficient, you can
suspend sessions etc. NX/freenx would be the right tool.

That, or VNC if bandwidth isn't much of an issue (VNC is less work to setup). No SSH needed, that's why I was confused. Of course you can also just add users from a regular SSH shell, but I take it you're not very comfortable using the command line? It is much faster than any remote desktop method. :o)

Nils Breunese.