Re: [K12OSN] Remote Desktop immage while ssh

Peter Scheie wrote:

Nils Breunese wrote:
John Lucas wrote:

On Saturday 15 September 2007 23:44, ahodson wrote:
Hi Nils

 From my server I need to ssh into 6 other servers - I use
<ssh -l root 10.###.###.### -X>
to gain console access, and then run routines like
/usr/bin/system-config-users
to add new students to a server, etc. The question was directed at
finding out how to turn console into the remote desktop, so I can then
push a chosen desktop background to all users using the "Push new
icons..." desktop icon... Is this doable this way?
Thanks for helping
alan
-=o=-

If I have decoded "how to turn console into the remote desktop" correctly, then you would need NX/freenx and log onto the remote system as root (where the "Push new icons..." are located). You could *try* something like this
(assuming KDE for the moment):

    ssh -X -l root remotemachine '/usr/bin/startkde'

But I don't think you would like the result. NX is more efficient, you can
suspend sessions etc. NX/freenx would be the right tool.

That, or VNC if bandwidth isn't much of an issue (VNC is less work to setup). No SSH needed, that's why I was confused. Of course you can also just add users from a regular SSH shell, but I take it you're not very comfortable using the command line? It is much faster than any remote desktop method. :o)

Nils Breunese.

You can also tunnel VNC over SSH in a two step process. Step 1, ssh to the server like so:

ssh -L 3700:localhost:5900 10.x.x.x

Step 2: Start the vncviewer on your local system (not the server you're ssh-ing to) and point it at localhost:3700. The connection will get redirected over the ssh session and you'll get the VNC login screen which looks just like what the clients see. This method gives you ssh security so you can use it over the internet, but not the 'must be setup beforehand' requirements of NX. OTOH, the 10.x.x.x address you mention suggests you may only be connecting over the LAN, not the internet, so the security may not be that important. If you are connecting over the internet, I suggest taking John's advice and setup NX as the performance is much better than VNC, especially if this is something you'll be doing in an ongoing basis. But VNC over SSH is great in a pinch. (I think it's at this point that Les points out that some version of VNC comes with ssh tunneling built-in, but I can never remember which version, and that version isn't always available; this method works with any version.)

There are lots of other possibilities, but freenx/NX is the best if you need to do it often. But, yes, if you want to connect via vnc over ssh, some versions of vncviewer have the -via option to set up the ssh tunnel transparently for you. "vncviewer -via ssh_host target_host" will establish the port-forwarding ssh connection - which will prompt for a password if you haven't set up ssh keys, and may or may not be the same machine as the vnc target. If you already have at least one machine you can reach with ssh and targets running vnc servers you can use this method with no additional setup, and if your vncview doesn't have the -via option you can do it manually by setting up the port forwarding ssh connection as a separate step.

It is possible to start a normal X desktop through an ssh connection but I've forgotten the right command. You can get almost the same effect by dragging the icons for the programs you'd want to run from the menus onto the desktop, then running nautilus from your remote ssh connection. Any programs you start by double-clicking the icons will open in new windows on your remote desktop.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com