Re: [K12OSN] OT: easy way to move "documents and settings" folder?

Rob...

I hate regediting ...but I wonder if there is not some 'free' tool(app) out there that will let you simply search and replace globally in the registry...

so you could simply do a search on "c:\documents and settings" and replace it with "h:\documents and settings" or some such.

--Huck

Rob Owens wrote:
Jim and Huck, thanks for the responses.  But I want to move not just "My
Documents", but the entire Documents and Settings folder.  The reason is
that things like temporary internet files, etc. are filling up the very
small C drive on my terminal server.  Users are instructed to save all
of their "stuff" on a network drive anyway, so My Documents doesn't
actually take up much space.

Also, to be clear, I'd like to set it up so that all new users get their
settings put in d:\documents and settings\username

-Rob

Huck wrote:
right-click 'start', click 'explore', click on 'Desktop' in the left
window pane, right-click 'My Documents', click 'properties', the Target
tab should be showing...the 1 field there shows the target path of the
My Documents folder...with the 'move...' button directly below that
field you can edit the field and move the location.

--Huck

Jim Kronebusch wrote:
On Wed, 19 Sep 2007 11:22:49 -0400, Rob Owens wrote
I know some of the guys on this list have implemented roaming profiles
using samba--maybe that knowledge can help me w/ my windows problem.  I
want to move the "documents and settings" folder on our windows terminal
server to a new drive.  The instructions I've found on microsoft's
website include a step which requires you to edit every registry entry
that contains the path c:\documents and settings.  I looked through my
registry and stopped counting when I hit 500 occurrences of this path.
Is there an easier way?

Sorry for the Windows question, but it's all part of my long-term plan
to put Linux on the desktop.

-Rob
It has been a while, but can't you right click the My Documents folder
and then
somewhere in properties select move and then your new location.  I
know I have done this
in the past to move My Document storage out to a central server.  If
nothing else pursue
correct directions for that, it is way quicker than the registry method.

Jim