[K12OSN] Window Clients can't get past the Linux Server

Steve Jackson sjxn at bigpond.net.au
Sun Sep 23 23:27:06 UTC 2007

I'm afraid I don't know how Novell logons work these days, so I can't be
much more help. Do Novell logons work through NAT in other circumstances?

If it were AD I'd suspect your LTSP DNS was forwarding direct to a DNS
on the internet (such as your ISP or maybe a router) that didn't have
the entries for AD, but did allow name resolution for the Internet.

Setting DHCP on the LTSP server to send out the main DNS server address
would help for this problem, if the test I suggested before works; but
it might break other things, if your terminals use names rather than ip
addresses for their logging server or other things (is DNS on your LTSP
server just a caching server?). It would be better to make sure the LTSP
server is forwarding to the main network's DNS server rather than (or as
well as, perhaps) direct to the internet. If that doesn't fix the
problem, then there is something else going on here.

If what I have suggested so far doesn't work, I'd use tcpdump or
something better to sniff the traffic going in and out of the LTSP
server on both interfaces, to see what gets through and what never comes
back. Can the LTSP server ping the Novell login server, by ip address
and by name? Can the Novell server ping the LTSP server? What iptables
rules are in use on the LTSP server?

These are all ideas for further investigation - sorry I can't be more
specific, I haven't touched Netware for over 15 years (and for that
matter, AD for over 4 years - but that's a different story)!