From: Steve Jackson <sjxn bigpond net au>
To: "Support list for open source software in schools." <k12osn redhat com>
Subject: Re: [K12OSN] Window Clients can't get past the Linux Server
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 08:23:11 +1000

This sounds like a DNS lookup problem to me. DNS is used to locate domain servers in Active Directory, assuming that's what you mean by "tree server" - and the same for Novell I think. To diagnose, I would hand-configure the W2K DNS server entry to be the same address as it would get if it were connected to the "main" network, and see if it now works. If it does, you need to look at where the LTSP server's DNS service is forwarding requests it can't handle to, and make it try the "main" network's DNS. If your LTSP server doesn't have a DNS service, change its DHCP config to tell the clients to use the main DNS address.

Transparent proxying only affects web traffic IIRC (and I'm not sure what's going on with squid, can't help there). The ip_forward setting must be 1. NAT must be used unless the "main" network knows how to route packets back into the "terminal & w2k" network.

Steve

jones yeates wrote:
I am using a floppy to boot onto the LTSP server. It is working fine. The clients can log in and access the Internet. =]

When the client doesn't boot from the floppy, it loads up Windows (2000). It is unable to find the "tree server" to authenticate the Windows user. However, if I say "Yes" to work on the Window's desktop, I can access the Internet.

On the Fedora Core 5 server that is running K12LTSP, I tried:
    #echo 1 >  /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
and that took care of the Windows client being able to access the Internet.

I tried:
    #chkconfig --levels 345 transparent-proxying on
and there was no change so I entered
    #chkconfig --levels 345 transparent-proxying off

I restarted the server, for another attempt at solving this.
I turned off the firewall, installed and ran squid. I made the changes discussed in http://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2007-August/msg00221.html but it failed to #service squid restart. I removed the transparent value and #service squid restart worked fine.

I tried
    #chkconfig --levels 345 transparent-proxying on
again. This time it couldn't be found. I listed all the values for chkconfig and it wasn't on the list. I am not sure how I removed that item, is there a way I can get it back?

Below is what the ipconfig looks like on the Window's client.

E:\>ipconfig /all
Windows 2000 IP Configuration
       Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : c-23
       Primary DNS Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : ltsp
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 2:
       Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : ltsp
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-01-04-EB-12-1C
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 21, 2007 4:25:40 PM Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, September 21, 2007 10:25:40PM

As a Windows client, I am able to ping outside of the 192.168.0.0 LAN and onto the school's regular network. I believe nat is working because I can access the Internet on the Window's client.

I am not sure what else to try.  The transparent thing is my only guess.