Re: [K12OSN] default configuration questions

Jon Harder wrote:

I have three configuration issues that I have not been able to
resolve.

First, how can I set the preferred mailreader to default to thunderbird?
That is, when a user first logs on, it is already thunderbird and they
do not need to select it via the System -> Preferences -> More Preferences ->
Prefered Applications menu.

I did this on our K12LTSP 5EL install:

- Install gconf-editor (yum install gconf-editor)
- Start gconf-editor as root
- Navigate to /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/mailto
- Replace 'evolution --component=mail %s' with 'thunderbird -compose %s'
- Right-click the key and select 'Select as Default' (you can also choose Mandatory if you do not want to allow your users to change this)

My second question involves selecting a default login screen for the client
computers. My current configuration includes this in
/opt/ltsp/i386/etc/lts.conf:

        SCREEN_01          = startx
        SCREEN_02          = rdesktop
                RDP_SERVER = tserve
                RDP_OPTIONS = -a 16 -f
        SCREEN_03          = shell

Clients randomly choose between SCREEN_01 and SCREEN_02 when they
start up. I want it to open consistently on SCREEN_01. Hopefully most
users won't even need to know about rdesktop. I tried delaying the startup
of SCREEN_02 with a sleep of several seconds, but no luck with that.

I think it's strange that they'd choose randomly. We have startx on 01 and shell on 02 and all clients boot to X by default.

Finally, how do I change the default image on the linux login screen.
Does it need to be a certain size?

You'd have to modify the GDM theme. I didn't change the theme, but just set remote logins to use the same GDM theme as local logins, which gets you the default CentOS/Fedora login screen. I think the CentOS 5 theme is pretty slick.

Nils Breunese.